View Single Post
Unread 02/09/2010, 12:49 AM   #1
xcelprintingcom
Moved On

Talking My DIY Styrofoam Faux Rock Wall

Size: 72"x24"x8"
Cost: $15 vs. $450+ for going the eggcrate method.
Tools: a fork
Experience Level: suuuppper easy

Originaly I was going to go the eggcrate method, zip tying the rock, then the pond foam and epoxy, but the cost for that was over $450: 150lbs dry rock @$1.85lb=$277, 10 cans Touch N Foam $65, egg crate $22, epoxy $50+, sand to sprinkle for rock-like texture of pond foam $30.

The pictures do not do it justice, actually I almost didn't even post this after looking at the pictures, you really have to see it in person, it is riddled with holes and crevices, I made over 5 caves and holes with swim thru's large enough I was able to fit my arm through some and my entire hand in others, and several over hangs...plenty of places for fish to hide at night, but none of this really shows well on the pictures.

With some extra foam I made a cave-like arch to attach to the front of the wall, still have 2 more larger ones that I will make.

Without further a due, here are the pictures, many are repeated without flash so you can see the depth/dimension better...enjoy, and let me hear your feedback.

http://picasaweb.google.com/abcogrou...ofoamRockWall#

I should also mention this was the most fun DIY, even my 4yr old went to town on the foam with a fork, then he threw all the foam that was on the floor in the air as if it were snow, he had a blast.

Next: give it 3 coats of white portland cement type I, 1st coat watered down, coats 2 and 3 thicker to create a solid structure....and for those wondering yes I am going to have around 100lbs of live rock as well, this was just intended for the back as I don't like blue or black backs.

Last edited by xcelprintingcom; 02/09/2010 at 01:08 AM.
xcelprintingcom is offline   Reply With Quote