View Single Post
Unread 09/11/2018, 04:17 PM   #6
reefinmike
Registered Member

mcgyvr- I always appreciate your short blunt answers! Yes I know I am over complicating things with all the gadgets and over analyzing but I have not taken any actions based on the probe readings nor do I plan on having it control anything aside from an alarm/notification if it gets way out of whack. I really just want to get reliable consistent readings

I believe I may have figured out what is causing the sudden dip. This morning I flipped on the T5's to flip over a snail and I happened to notice the reading on my display dropped nearly instantly from 35.8 to 35.2. Lights off and it jumped back up. This coincides with the time the T5's are on, sometimes I keep them on a bit longer so that explains the slight variance. The plugs going to the t5 ballasts are about a foot away from the apex brain and that is the closest the probe wire comes. I believe it may have something to do with stray electricity in the water. Sometimes I get a very faint tingle when my arm is in the water and touches the reflector. Months ago I made sure the ballasts were properly grounded and installed a GFCI which isn't tripped by this.

Is my thinking right? is the stray electricity up in the display causing the readings to drop all the way down in the fuge? maybe a grounding probe is the solution or connecting the ground on the ballast to my reflector?