View Single Post
Unread 05/02/2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Colione
Registered Member

Rusted Vortech Magnet leading to killing SPS and High Phosphates?

Hey Everyone,

I have a newish tank up (5 months), I bought a bunch of SPS a month and a half ago, and for the first 3 weeks it was doing great and growing and coloring well.

3 weeks ago, things started browning, and also bleaching. I couldn't really figure it out. I traveled for work for 5 days, and when I returned things were pretty bad. Everything was bleached, I did some water changes, and changed Rox Carbon, and GFO, I tested and my Phosphates were 0.18, up from 0.02.

So I did some more big water changes, and changed the media, but still everything was doing poorly. I had algae growing on my vortech, so I decided to take it out and clean it off so it didn't spread.

When I opened it up, this is what I found!!

I don't know what a vortech mp40 magnet is made out of, but I feel like this probably isn't good for the tank.

Most of my SPS is dead and my RTBA that I've had for 3 years (and that has split 5 times) is bleached to hell.

Does anyone know what these magnets are made of, or had anything similar happen? It's a bummer, but I'm glad I know what caused this all, and how to fix it. I was pretty perplexed for a while..

Current Tank Info: 50 gal Rimless