View Single Post
Unread 09/08/2013, 06:55 AM   #13
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
You're saying 9 leds is enough for a 29 gallon biocube? Try out SPS and see what happens. If it works, then they've revolutionized leds.
asid61 and I often don't see things eye to eye, but on this one I'm 100% in agreement!

And IMHO the led color selection is too white, or in the case of the 'color' fixture you really don't need the red or green leds. White leds add enough red into the mix until you hit about a 3:1 or 4:1 mix of blue to white. Then a bit of red and green may be useful. But in a 9 led fixture they don't help as much as they hurt! You have way too much red and green that the coral could care less about. It may look good to your eyes, but that isn't what the coral or it's zooxanthellae feel about it. They want blue spectrum and lots of it. Add in as little white as you can to make it look OK to your eyes and you have a good compromise. 4 blue, 3 white, 1 red and 1 green is just way off the mark as far as your corals are concerned. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Ron Reefman; 09/08/2013 at 07:01 AM.
Ron Reefman is offline   Reply With Quote