View Single Post
Unread 07/31/2006, 08:33 AM   #8
jmaneyapanda
Commencing hatred

While the tank is fallow (no fish in it), increase the temp to the low to mid 80s or so. This will speed the metabolism and life cycle of the ick tomont cysts, and will aid in limiting them.

BTTRFLYGRL, I have to disagree. Unless you've had your fish for THEIR entire lives, they could have been exposed somewhere else, have these cysts laying in tissue, and ipso facto, be infected, although they are not showing the typical symptoms. I have a Chevron tang that NEVER showed any signs of disease until I introduce a yellow tang (after 8 weeks QT). Almost immediately, the spots arrived as the yellow harassed the Chevron. This same fish has shown spots every now and then for nearly a year and a half. Its still alive and otherwise fat and healthy. No other fish in the tank has ever shown spots, including the Yellow. You are correct, low temps dont CAUSE ick, they illicit it. Stress on your fish will allow ick to get a foothold. However, good water conditiions, proper diet, and anything else you can do to minimize stress will help top alleviate this ailment.

jmaneyapanda is offline   Reply With Quote