View Single Post
Unread 04/03/2018, 12:08 PM   #3354
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yeah, that makes more sense for ME to be Mr Pot, heh, heh…

This discussion has been very informative! Cheers!

Kevin, I was in a similar place regarding nasties. I wasn't concerned with hitchhikers on plants, etc. I benefitted a lot by getting freebies, like plants, pods and worms. Now however, I have several undesirable organisms I want to eradicate, and I don't want them to return, hence the obsession with sterilizing stuff. I don't expect to go 'full nazi', but I do want to have a procedure in place.

I 'got away with it' for three years before I had trouble. I managed to get rid of ICH, but since then I've accumulated a few other items I'd like to get rid of, and hopefully not return. They are dinoflagellates, aiptasia anemones and a few macro algae.

These items, as well as some system fixes, led me down the path to the re-do. Having lived with the setup awhile, the little things that bugged me gradually became bigger things. I was very happy how things went with the tank. I was thrilled to keep the plants alive! Now I'm at the point where I have a better idea what I don't want, whereas before it was like "everyone's welcome!"

I see this as my own evolution as an ecosystem manager/gardener. I'm fascinated with our two tanks similarities and differences, as well as our methods to get there!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote