View Single Post
Unread 10/04/2017, 07:36 PM   #26
Newms118
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub968 View Post
You don't need to worry about ph during a freshwater dip it will not hurt the fish.as for temp I just float the container in my qt and put a small plastic clamp to hold it in place then I stick and air stone in and let it sit for about 30 min or so check the temp and net the fish drop him in. Also I've seen several reccomendations by seachem as far as the amount of focus that can be used and its anywhere from1-5 scoops so shouldn't be a problem.

This is how positive I am about ph, when I get new fish I set up my qt to matching salinity as the water the fish was shipping in. I float the bag to temp acclimate 30 min or so, then I cut the bag open net the fish and plop him in the qt. I've never lost a fish doing this. Think of it this way the ph is low in the bag so ammonia is in its safe form as you drip acclimate the ph rises quite fast,this causes the ammonia to convert to ammonium the bad stuff. The ph didn't kill the fish it was the ammonium.
Well going from salt water to salt water, I wouldn't imagine the pH to be that far out of balance. But I've read that since its with freshwater, the pH swing can be pretty dramatic. You're the first person I've read say pH with the freshwater dip shouldn't matter.

I like the floating the container in the tank to temp match, makes sense. So what dark container do you use? Thats been another issue, last time I did the FW dip it was in a white bucket, really stupid of me. Of course I couldn't see anything.

As for the status, I've done a water change, added carbon to really get all drug out of the tank and am just feeding frozen food to get it eating again. It'll pick at Emerald Entree and Formula 2, but just a bit. Silly eater really, just peck once or twice then swims away and circle back later. It never really eats it all (I'm having to take a knife and cut like 20% of a cube to put in, and the fish leaves a lot of that left).

So far today I saw it scratch its body on a tube, and its poop is still stringy .

Newms118 is offline   Reply With Quote