View Single Post
Unread 03/20/2018, 05:32 AM   #4
Mrramsey
NEO Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad View Post
Doing any titration, I add a bunch of drops before any color change persists after mixing, then it changes 1 drop at a time for a bunch more drops, then it stops changing no matter how much I add. When is it complete?

Most of the kit directions say "until the vial turns orange or pink" or "until a clear blue color is reached". In those cases, should I stop when a casual observer would call the color "orange", "pink", "blue" etc?

I remember in chemistry in class, we were told a titration isn't complete until the color can't change any more. Unless your familiar with the end color, you have to add 1 drop past where it stops changing and remember where you were at.

Which is correct? This makes a big difference, 30ppm Ca or 1dhk alkalinity or more.
I've heard it both ways. I too am struggling with this. If I go to the point where the color shifts and stays my readings would indicate a normal range. Which tests are you using? I am using Red Sea Pro.

I am also in Hudson and would be interested in getting together to compare notes / technique.

Current Tank Info: 120g In-Wall | BA Overflow | 55g Sump | SWC Extreme 150 Skimmer | DIY ATO | 2 Jebao RW-8| Fluval SP6 | Photon 48v2 LED | GFO and Carbon
Mrramsey is offline   Reply With Quote