View Single Post
Unread 05/06/2012, 04:38 PM   #48
Paul B
Premium Member

No, I usually feed the cube of mysis along with fresh clam, live worms and live baby brine shrimp. But I always thaw the mysis and rinse it. This was about half the food I usually feed and it was only for a week. I didn't want the sitter to put too much food in the tank when I was not home. About half of the substrait was covered in cyano. I mean it wasent thick and covering the corals or anything but it was definately cyano and much more than I would want to see.
My tank generally only has a very small amount of cyano at the front glass under the gravel.
You can see some of it here as the dark places under the gravel. That is about the only place it ever grows.
I was surprised myself at how much cyano grew in such a short period of time with such a small amount of food.
Randy, you know that I know my tank, and I know when something is off. The only thing I can think of to grow that much cyano was the juices in the mysis which are about half of the material that is in those cubes.
I cleared it up in a day with Chemi Clean but it also killed some large sponges I had for a few years.
The tank is now back to normal

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971

Last edited by Paul B; 05/06/2012 at 04:47 PM.
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote