View Single Post
Unread 05/24/2017, 10:39 AM   #3636
Keith@ ATI NA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaman View Post
Thanks Keith@ATI NA!

That seems like a really intense light profile.
I had my leds at 100% and started getting lots of algae.
I only have them at 30% now.
It is a very intense light profile. I have always been a fan of tons of light. When I had a retail store I ran dual 1000w radium halides with dual 110w VHO Actinic over my 8" deep frag system. SPS loved it, especially maricultured stuff coming from sunshine.

IMO corals can handle a lot more light than people give them credit, so long as they are acclimated to the intensity. I spent a month in Vanuatu diving with a fish collector and there was SPS above water frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike810 View Post
I see you do not ramp your T5 bulbs, do you do this because it decreases the bulbs life?
I am not sure what you are seeing, they are absolutely ramping up and down (the graph is sloped, not straight up and down). They are however at full intensity during peak day.

I absolutely do not believe dimming decreases bulb life with one huge caveat: you absolutely MUST season the bulbs at 100% for 50 hours prior to dimming or you will burn them up very quickly. I think this is where the thought of decreased lifespan originated, too many people doing it wrong and chewing up bulbs quickly.

I have an ATI ballast and a couple pairs of waterproof end caps in my garage where I plug in new bulbs for 2 days each pair. Once all 8 are seasoned I swap them out and lift the light 6-8", then lower an inch or two every week or two.

Current Tank Info: 175g mixed powered by an ATI LED Powermodule
Keith@ ATI NA is offline   Reply With Quote