View Single Post
Unread 04/26/2012, 10:36 PM   #12
Thisseemsfishy
Just another Reefer

Thank you for the advice. I will give it a try. One more question....the rock is Texas Holy rock. It's very hard and dense. Do you think your plan would still work?

I do not want to kill them they are just spreading like fire and getting way to close to some SPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCHO REEF View Post
Understood, but you can still remove them, here's how. Ditch the hammer and chisel and grab a dedicated pair of needle nose pliars or long nose tin snips. Make sure there's no rust on them and you may have to disassmeble them and wash any and all oil/lubricant/dirt, residue etc off the pivet/nose/handle etc. Grab one or the other and place a half inch away from the base of the polyps. At a 45 degree angle, cut into the rock and work your way around the polyps. Rock residue will be released, which is normal and it will dissapate via the current. Remove the polyps and reattached on other rocks, sell, trade, auction, donate or take to your LFS for credit. Good luck man and I hope this helps.

Mucho Reef

PS. Caution, do not bare down, or is it bear down, on the rock. Let the cutters do the work. You don't want added forces on the glass bottom of your tank.

Current Tank Info: 65g Reef, 265w Cree LED Lighting, 20g DIY Sump/Fuge, Euro-Reef CS6-1 Skimmer, 2 Little Fishes GFO Reactor ||||| Mostly SPS and a few LPS, Zoa's, and Shrooms
Thisseemsfishy is offline   Reply With Quote