View Single Post
Unread 02/16/2012, 08:59 AM   #168
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briney Dave View Post
Now all I have to do is fine a mega grant for a poor teacher LOL
Go corporate or go home Surely BP has some education budget for mangrove research. I'm sure they play a major role in cleaning the Gulf of Mexico disaster. They also play a major role flood control, and with global warming increasing as it has, mangroves need to be deployed in flood sensitive areas. There's got to be a disaster relief fund out there... maybe a field trip for your students to plant mangroves in New Orleans on arbour day?

Quote:
My real question(s) are about how you used the "mud" in your mangrove system: did you use it straight up or mix it. And I really want to create a tangle of roots but still not have a good way to mount the trees to create the long root growth without the trees falling over all the time. Any suggestions?

My goal is to create a mangrove micro-environment for the students to study but any nutrients that are taken out of the system a nice bonus
We were thinking of adding dolomite to provide bio available magnesium and aerate the roots, but we opted to try the mud as advertised. We tried elevating a few of the root systems out of the mud recently to encourage new runners, but they fell over and I dried out some roots (notice how I say "we" when it is a good idea, and "I" when it is a screwup) I really should have gone corporate

The trees do get top heavy, so they should have a good portion of the root system anchored in substrate at all times. Manipulating the water level is a better way to encourage a tangled root mass. The mangroves we have a very long root system but, they are not "woody" because they are always submerged.

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote