View Single Post
Unread 10/10/2017, 03:07 PM   #61
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
How's the balancing act? Both tanks 'helping' each other? I'd love to hear more of your experience with this dual ecosystem setup.
Everything is going reasonably well. I don't have a ton of nutrient export algae in the display refugium/lagoon. As such, there has been a bit of a brown hair algae outbreak in the main tank. I think partly from over feeding, partly from the tank still being newish. Also, the main tank got some red bugs brought in on one of the frags. They are being a bit of a pain. I'm trying to not treat anything with chemicals, and instead have an H. chrysus yellow wrasse as a control measure. So far, it is working okay but not great.

The SPS frags are growing well and are coloring up quite nicely (aside from the 3 or 4 that have bugs on them and are kind of pale). Alkalinity has been between 8.0 and 8.3 dKH for a month, which is certainly helpful. I haven't tested nitrate or phosphate for quite a while and did my first water change on the tank last night to try to knock down some of the algae/cyano.

I think the system would benefit from some faster growing algae and perhaps a little more water flow to reduce cyano and to prevent algae in the main tank.

It definitely is looking pretty "dirty" in there, which I like. I'll try to take some pictures soon.

HuskerBioProf is offline   Reply With Quote