View Single Post
Unread 08/21/2009, 04:18 AM   #121
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
Isn't running phosban and carbon reactors accomplishing the same thing with alot less problems?
Not at all. Phosban is for phosphate but ozone will not remove phosphate. Ozone only removes organics like fish poop, food and all DOCs (disolved organic carbons)
OK being I am not Waterkeeper I have to quote from my aquarium chemistry book that was written before most of you were born.

"Ozone is very effective because the water is not being contaminated by chemicals. Since it raises the oxidation threshold of the water to it's limit, the highest potential.
Through Ozonation we reach the values which are otherwize only found in the purest waters on earth, the mountain brook and coral reef. All of the reducing compounds are oxidized at the quickest speed. Undesirable intermediate compounds, which often disturb the water for an uncomfortable long time and are the cause of critical complications, are soon made non-toxic, and the highly reductive reducing agents originating from many processes of decomposition and the very dangerous bacterial toxins are prevented from developing at all.
In other words, dangerous compounds do not develop.

Also Capn, the toxins that most corals use for defense will stay in the water for a long time unless removed. We can't measure these compounds but they are toxic to many corals.
The slime that sloughs off corals (and fish) is also oxidized.
Oxone also does not have to be maintained like carbon, it keeps working. I have used carbon as long as I have salt water and feel it is a very important thing to have.

Another interesting fact I have found in this book, which I have always agreed with

"It is a fact that seawater with green algae in it is surprisingly stable"

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote