View Single Post
Unread 01/22/2008, 01:39 PM   #117
hahnmeister
Moved On

There is a Lumenbright DE on the way.

The reason for DE over SE is that with only a few exceptions, SE bulbs arent M80/HQI rated. Running SE bulbs on M80 ballasts isnt good for the bulb's longevity or spectrum... like running a car on jet fuel... sure, you can do it, but it will have a short life. DE/HQI bulbs are made to a higher spec so they last longer. Most other Mogul base bulbs are cheaper probe start, low pressure, etc... they tend to burn out faster and color shift more.

Aquaconnects though, as it turns out, are one of the few HQI rated SE bulbs (others are the Radium, but only in 250wattSE, the Giesemann megachromes, and all BLV/UShio aqualite/nepturion bulbs w/o a CWA in their model name).

The thing is, if you want the Aquaconnect, you might as well get the pheonix 14,000Ks. Identical spectrum and output, but for much less $$$ in DE. I was keeping that in mind when I suggested DE over SE.

If you just need the sheer output though, the Giesemann is the right bulb. It may appear yellow to some, but thats usually because this bulb is full spectrum, and so it will pick up the yellow in your water if it isnt clear. If your water is clear (or when you just look at the bulb) you can tell it is actually very crisp white with purple/blue if anything. The only suppliment it needs is maybe a couple blue T5 bulbs... thats it. It contains loads of actinic, more than any other 250watter.

Otherwise, if you do want to go bluer, I fear that dual 250's may not be enough for your tank. You really might be looking at 3x250's in that case, but then it would make sense to stick with 400's. Then, if you like blue, the choice it obvious... dual Aquaconnect 14,000Ks on 400wattHQI ballasts (really 430watt HPS ballasts) in lumenbrights OR lumenarcs.

hahnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote