View Single Post
Unread 07/04/2017, 12:21 PM   #14
EthanHawaii
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Sunlight reaching the tank is a common cause. It's an archaic organism (animal, actually) that feeds on sunlight and gives off oxygen, so there are worse plagues. It can harm your stuff by cutting off the light, but it's a slow sort of harm.
To kill it, you need a good skimmer, and take away its daylight for 3 days (4th day on blues only) ---once a month, while skimming up the dieoff so it doesn't cycle round again. Takes a few months, but with a decent skimmer, and caution about daylight exposure of the tank, it will work. Just don't use blackout on the tank walls---let ordinary room light reach it to keep snails from eating your sleeping fish.
I do have sunlight that is bouncing off my neighbors window and hits the front right corner of the tank for about 45 mins everyday and now that I think about it, that was the first spot to get cyano! so do you think maybe it's spread from there and will go away if I close the blinds? I only have one Kessil A360 on the right side of the tank and nothing on the left at the moment, and there is no cyano on the left side.

EthanHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote