Thread: Great article
View Single Post
Unread 04/06/2003, 09:12 AM   #2
mkirda
Former CMAS member

Re: Great article

Quote:
Originally posted by bmcq
Your article on the trip to the Phillipines was very interesting and brought back a lot of memories. As I sit here on this bright , sunny Sunday morning reading this article I recall the year I spent at Subic Bay in the early 70's. I see that nothing has really changed. {Snip}
Your article also portrays a very real understanding of the way of life for these people. The people I met there were for the most part very hard working and very inventive. You had to be because of the very low income rate. I believe more Americans should be exposed to more of this type of culture ..... it sure makes life here seem a lot less petty! The next time they want to complain about their low income or not being able to afford that high dollar home or car ..... they may think twice about what they already have!!!!
I couldn't agree more. Seriously, I think everyone should see the world, and should especially visit these poor areas.

You could literally fly into Manila, be dropped down into one of the many malls, and get the impression that the Philippines is a rich country. Heck, I think their malls are nicer than all the malls around greater Chicagoland, with maybe the exception of a few areas on Michigan Avenue. But it would be completely wrong- There is some wealth, but it is so concentrated that it is unbelievable. You need to go outside Manila and see the real life.

Subic is still there, and operating as a resort now. Many of the homes are now summer cottages. Lots of companies have set up factories there- they can sail in parts duty-free, then export the manufactured goods, all using cheap Filipino labor. The areas around Subic suffered greatly with the Pinatubo eruption and the base closure. Only now, a decade later, have they started to get back to earlier income levels.

Seriously, if you ever can, you should take your family back there. It is a real eye-opener! I'd also recommend that you visit Palawan and/or Coron. The landscapes are incredible. Plus the hotels are inexpensive.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

mkirda is offline   Reply With Quote