Thread: Siphoning Dinos
View Single Post
Unread 12/28/2017, 10:11 AM   #9
JohnnyHildo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raintree View Post
From my research, i haven't found that there's any truth to this notion that water changes 'feed' dinos. Most life needs trace elements, as well as nitrogen and phosphorous. I already tried the no-water changes/no nutrients method to starve out the dinos and as you mentioned, it just stressed or killed just about everything else in the tank.

Most people that have beat dinos mention siphoning out/manually removing as much of it as possible, combined with high pH, dark periods, and/or hydrogen peroxide dosing... which is why i made this thread, since it seems like a lot of people skip over what they replace the siphoned-out water with.
first, it's your system so ultimately your problem to deal with and choose treatment for i'm just speaking from experience. you misread my reply as i would never ever suggest a "no-nutrient" method to anyone with dinos. the exact opposite is often the key to beating them to encourage algae growth and competition. driving the nutrients through the floor is what often allowed dinos to catch traction to begin with.
peroxide, diatom filters, reduced photoperiods, multi-day dark periods, metronidazole, manual removal, more water changes, less water changes, dino-x, bleach, high pH, high magnesium, wet skimming, phytoplankton (and i'm sure there are many more "cures" for this issue) are all treatments i have read about but without proper ID you're basically flailing wildly at the expense of your systems stability.
anyway best of luck with it.

Current Tank Info: Acros - Zoas - Palys
JohnnyHildo is offline   Reply With Quote