View Single Post
Unread 10/25/2017, 06:47 PM   #1
Rover88
Registered Member

First DIY tank, 75 gallon

Hello all,

This isn't really an ENTIRELY do it myself thread, as I'm taking someone elses setup that I purchased and setting it up how I like, with a new sump.

The existing setup was a 75 Gallon drilled tank, I believe it to be an old Aqueon Maxflow? It has two 1 inch drilled holes behind an overflow.

The stand was home built, very sturdy (and heavy!) 4x4s.

Equipment:
Vertex 130 omega
BRS GFO/Carbon dual reactor
Two MP10 powerheads
Maxxspect 420R Raz0r 320W light
Eshopps 2nd generation R300 sump. (Or refugium? Can't remember, its a sump for me).
Lots of plumbing and other things.

First step when I got it. It looked like this:

I wound up buying 24 litres of vinegar, filling a tote, and soaking /everything/. Also took the chance to paint the interior of the tank stand. It didn't hold up the best on the bottom where the sump has been moving around, but all in all I'm happy with it. Got it nice and white, and also did the top of the stand. I also had to lower the 'board' that was across so I could center it a bit better.

Painting...

Tank painting!

The haul

At the time this photo was taken, the tank was being sprayed with vinegar and cleaned. I also couldn't lift it up onto the stand by myself, so I needed to wait for help before I got it into place.

This is where I've made it to!

The returning plumbing is in place and untested. I'll tell you I have a plan for that second valve thats doing nothing but sitting there, buuuut... I don't. Not really. I'll lie and say water changes, sure. In reality, its how I got it and I didn't want to go try and source another local valve. Down the road maybe I'll find a use for it! I'm getting new 90 degree fittings so I can plumb horizontal across the top to go straight down to the pump at some point, but this'll do for now.

Thats the return. The top part was already done, I cut it off and reattached a new line down to where my valves are below. The hole was precut in the board that the tank is sitting on (I don't have a drill or saw, so I reused what was there).

There is an antisiphon hole in the return line, in the 90 degree that sits in the water.

I really didn't know where to put the lines off this? I mean... Does it pick up from the pump section and put it back at the beginning? The other way around? Eh, doesn't matter. The hoses are long, I can move it as needed. In the back you can see the two bulkheads. There is water in the overflow right now (Herbie setup) and it doesn't leak, so huzzah first leak test!

image limit... continued...

So yeah.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote