View Single Post
Unread 01/02/2018, 04:37 AM   #12
Belgian Anthias
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I don't know of any evidence supporting this statement. A number of people have posted otherwise as far as stopping the d, due to the capacity to consume ammonia. Both the carbon-consuming organisms and the standard microbes can grow, given enough ammonia, and they might not overlap physically.
Of coarse all bacteria may grow when given enough ammonia and other building materials but when the usable organic carbon is matched the heterotrops will use up most of the ammonia leaving very little or nothing for the nitrifiers and other organisms because of the very high grow rate. This is supported by all approved publications I have read about ammonia reduction in aquaculture systems . http://www.baharini.eu/baharini/doku...onium_reductie More evidence I do not need.
In zero emission marine aquaculture systems ( ZMAS) using carbohydrates dosing to maintain a high C:N ratio no or little nitrate is produced.

Which are the standard microbes? Nitrifiers and denitrifiers?
How one can avoid the bacteria to overlap "physically"?

For me It is logic that when ammonia is removed by assimilation this ammonia is not available for nitrification and denitrification. It is a fact that autotrophs are suppressed by heterotroph growth.

Belgian Anthias is offline   Reply With Quote