View Single Post
Unread 02/01/2016, 01:58 PM   #17
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
The key is consistent flow through the reactor and finding the right Co2 rate to keep it consistent. This requires monitoring your reactor pH and make subtle adjustments to the Co2 rate and or flow through the reactor. With the masterflex, the flow never changes meaning that it stays where you set it. In your case, you might be able to slow the Co2 rate down some which will limit the frequency of the solenoid going on and off. The trick is to find the correct balance of Co2 rate to flow rate through the reactor. With the maxijet, this is more difficult to do since the flow rate will slow down as the effluent line clogs. That said, there really isn't any harm in the solenoid opening and closing but having a variable speed continuous duty pump like a masterflex makes tuning a calcium reactor to your systems needs much easier while also keeping the reactor much more stable and hands free.

As for using an RODI container like you mentioned, while it might work, it seems like a lot of effort to go through when there are cheap off the shelf solutions that will work well and be less of a hack job. I would just try to find a cheap reactor that will fit your space.
Thank you!!!! I was sitting here thinking before you replied and I think it clicked.. Then, I just read your reply.. I slowed down both the drip(it's like a very fast drip now versus a slow stream) and the bubble rate.. It went up to 6.88, but, with bubbles coming at constant "2 Mississippi", the solenoid has stayed on, and it's dropped back down to 6.8.. I will watch it and change the seeing on the controller. I also,I think get now what your saying about the maxi pump. I didn't understand, but I think it clicked.. And tell me if I'm wrong:

Ok, if the ph stabilizes at 6.74, then, I "could"speed up the flow, in order to get the ph up a little higher, to say, 6.77. But the key is that, I want the ph in the reactor to remain the same all the time? And the peristaltic pump is better, simply(well, over simplification here), because, say, I am at 35ml, I could bump it in tiny amounts(i think you mentioned 1/25ml a minute), to get it exactly where I want it? And keeping in mind, that I should of course make sure my alk is not rising or falling(the main purpose of the reactor)? But, ideally, I want the ph to stay at the same number, so the solenoid doesn't constantly go off(shutting off the Co2) and on(turning on the Co2)?

One question though, the changes that I made,I can't help but wonder, is the ph changing too fast? But I guess that's why I need to leave it to sit for 24 hours. At least, the Co2 that I'd, unless the solenoid shuts off correct? Then, because my effluent rate is slow(figuratively speaking), try and bump it up a little(which is better to stay off clogging of the drip line)?

Is that pretty much the gist and am I kinda understanding this correctly?

DamonG is offline   Reply With Quote