View Single Post
Unread 10/15/2017, 07:41 AM   #69
choss
Registered Member

Update

Ok so it has been a while. September was a pretty big month for me as far as travel is concerned. I also finished a non fish tank related project which is a dining room table that I built for a small summer home out in Montauk. It was occupying my work area and I was determined to get it done in time for Thanksgiving since we usually celebrate that in Montauk. Here is a pic of how it turned out. Its similar construction to my fish tank stand - just Sapele not Walnut. Sapele is an African hard wood, which has beautiful colors brought out with an oil treatment. I thought I'd include a picture or two.

Table & meal by choerenz, on Flickr

My son Mats doing some homework

Mats at table by choerenz, on Flickr

Ok so on to where I am in the build. I started the plumbing but hit a snag. I am using schedule 80 unions to plumb the ghost overflow.

union schedule 80 by choerenz, on Flickr

These unions should screw into the bottom of the ghost overflow. The issue is the unions are actually about 1 mm wider than the width of the overflow box and the rubber gasket that goes in between the box and the back of the tank. You can see from this picture - imagine that the level is the back of the tank.

Union w. level by choerenz, on Flickr

Here is a better shot of the union attached to the box. It actually still turns freely so perhaps it is ok to move forward but I spoke with Felix from Reef Savvy and he said "Brother, I got you! " - he is sending me a thicker rubber gasket which should give me the extra mm I need to feel good about the pipe being completely vertical off the back of the tank. You have to love Reef Savvy - simply the best customer service you can ask for. Felix and his family are nothing but quality people.

Union by choerenz, on Flickr

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote