View Single Post
Unread 02/13/2017, 07:09 PM   #11
Hentz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllongjk View Post
I think ReefBum's video on "SLIGHTLY DIRTY WATER" is spot on. You want to have detectable levels of nitrate and phosphate. If you always have (0) nitrate and phosphate that's a bad thing and your corals wont grow or color up as well as those in a "slightly dirty tank."
This just recently made me open my eyes a bit..

I've ran a ZEOvit system for the past year and I've loved it. I've had great success with my Acropora and a nice clean tank. However, recently downgrading to a fresh reboot with ZEOvit, I'm having slight trouble. Partially my fault.

After running my stones for too long before switching, my nitrates reach 8PPM. Before I realized they were so high, I was impressed with how much growth and color I was getting. Thinking wow the ZEOvit is taking its opposite path. Instead of pastel colors, I'm getting deep vibrant colors with the usual impressive polyp extension.

This was great until my alk was getting used up so quickly. Tested after my corals looked iffy and it read 5.4dKH. I over dosed on accident, setting my BRS 1.1ml doser for 2 minutes too long, which tested at 9.8. Along with my newly cycled Zeolite stones, it stripped my nitrates a tad too fast.

Now my corals look just OKAY, with my most vibrant a bit pale and iffy looking.

Point is, I've run an ULNS with awesome success. I'm quickly realizing however that having nitrates is really where it's at!!!