View Single Post
Unread 05/19/2015, 10:34 AM   #1095
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Who cares how much beneficial critters get zapped?

The whole point of antibiotics is to kill the disease bacteria. Good bacteria die too, but the alternative is for the patient to die... You can add back probiotics once things improve.

By the way, only free floating organisms are zapped. Ever since I set up my UV, I see more pods coming out at night. They're probably feeding on the fried remains of water column plankton. My corals also open up to feed more.

Your tank is sick - treat it.
So far the FM Ultra Algae X is working very well.

Any idea what contact time you need to fry the dinos with UVS?

I'm potentially interested in getting a 40w EA or AquaUV unit, but there isn't much info (that I know of) that explains what size unit you actually need to fry the dinos, and what GPH rating, etc.

Also, how large are dinos that are floating around the water collumn at night? Couldn't another (and much cheaper, fwiw ) solution be to run very small micron fitler socks once you see dinos? And for a period thereafter. Blow them off their perches right when the lights go out. I would require a lot of sock changes but I could see it potentially working to a degree..?

Sorry if you've answered this already, but did you start UVS in the middle of a dino outbreak, or after? What other methods (if any) did you use to eradicate them?