View Single Post
Unread 06/10/2010, 06:48 PM   #21
PowermanKW
Registered Member

Thanks Aurora.

This is what I mean by leaching......

That one, these polymers do not breakdown in saltwater at all. Which seems to be the case. Bacteria is need to break the chains and "degrade" it. So that is cool.

while bacteria can break it down to it's final form.. 100% consumption... I think of leaching as the bacteria breaking off chains and then those are released to the water column to be further degraded. I mean is 100% of the carbon consumed on the pellet surface by the bacteria with no escape of usable carbon? My guess is that it is small, but understandable if some gets away.

It would seem to me that aggressive tumbling would allow more carbon to get away and as a result some of the increased skimmer out put being seen with some pellets may very well be more carbon chains and not just bacteria.

90g RR SPS dominate. WM K2 skimmer /red nw. 60g fuge/sump. Upgraded Coralife Pro 250w w/ dual Galaxy and 14K Phoenix with 2x96 SPS dual actinic. Apex controller with WXM and two MP40s. Herbie overflow. Now running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets.
PowermanKW is offline   Reply With Quote