View Single Post
Unread 08/24/2016, 11:31 PM   #605
hitawaah
Registered Member

bleaching & acid bath times and ratios

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine9d View Post
Thanks bud.

Is there any benefit to letting it sit for more then that time? Like as in days?

If I wanted to clean the dry rocks from algaes and such, would this also be the best method?
I have Just finished the process of bleaching and then the acid bath. I did a little test just to see what difference leaving rock in the acid makes. I have about a hundred pounds of pukani dry live rock. The bleach really got most of the organics out of all the little crevices and off the rock. I used a gallon of bleach to 10 gallons of water for 24 hrs then rinsed with high power water flow to remove any hard to get little pieces. Next I set up 2 tubs for the acid bath same solution ratio as bleach using muratic acid 10:1. The acid bath helps get rid of calcium carbonates and phosphates which is what I really wanted(pukani has been known to leach phosphates really bad) I didn't want algae problems immediately or later. Most of my rock I let it set for about 30 minutes in the acid and was very happy with the results. The other tub I took about 10 pounds of rock three different pieces and let one set for 6 hours, another for 12 hours, and the last one almost a day. At 6 hours the piece wasn't to decayed but I could see it was smaller, at 12 hours it was quite visible that the rock was decaying pretty bad it was getting brittle. The last rock that had been in 24 hours was severely decayed with a lot of the rock missing and what was left was extremely brittle and easy to break. Pukani is very porous to begin with so I didn't want to lose a bunch of the rock I just wanted to remove the outer layer and phosphates. That's just my personal experiment. Every rock is composed differently so depending on what you have you might have to adjust your times or your ratios.

hitawaah is offline   Reply With Quote