View Single Post
Unread 01/03/2018, 03:52 AM   #5086
TxAggie08
Registered Member

I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here, but it seems to be a gathering place for the more knowledgeable in the acrylic world, and will prevent me cluttering the forum with another thread.

I have a 36"x 24"x 21"(75 gallons) eurobraced tank that has recently come in to my possession. On inspection, the seams appear solid, and I have the tank up don't see issues. I believe it is 3/8 inch or better acrylic( the tank was professionally built, has well finished corners etc),but I have not put calipers on it(they ended up somewhere in the massive pile of post Harvey debris).

I intend to drill two more holes in the back, and use an internal overflow, a 5 sided box salvaged from my very first saltwater attempt's external overflow. I will use the three overflows with two gaskets to hold it to the tank.... quick and simple solution I believe. If not, I will clean up the mess, and build a better box! The previous owner apparently was ok with the single t-piece overflow gurgling like a drunken sailor on shore leave, the residents of my home, myself included, are not. It also has two 3/4" return lines on each side of the back panel.

My question- the Euro bracing is aprox. 3" wide(I'm at work or I would measure prior to posting), and while the overflow will just out far enough to make clearing/cleaning it possible, the wiring of the powerheads is...... well a pain! I would like to drill two 3/4 or 1" diameter(probably 3/4) holes in the bracing for cable management. Will this compromise structural integrity on the tank? I really do not want to go through the back for any other reasons

One other hypothetical, would it be possible to cut a small notch it the leading edge of the back bracing, aprox 6" lengthwise, and 1 inch wide, to provide easier access to the overflow? I'm not certain it's needed, and with the bulkhead bolting it on it's not impossible anyway it's installed...... but it would be nice. Kill two bird with one pull here, and ask both questions.

Last edited by TxAggie08; 01/03/2018 at 04:05 AM.
TxAggie08 is offline   Reply With Quote