View Single Post
Unread 09/14/2016, 06:04 PM   #91
tenurepro
Registered Member

Motivated by Rpc07, I decided to turn the stock ATO into a fuge. It will be fed by my phosban reactor with the aim of providing some space for a pod population. I wanted to drill two bulkheads for a main and an emergency. First time drilling the tank so was very nervous. 1/2" bulkheads need a 1-1/8" hole. I found a little glass drilling kit which came with a drilling guide. I marked the holes on the tank, setup the drill and guide and gave it a go but the drill started dancing on the glass yikes!

Ok plan b, need a better guide and to practice. Managed to find some spare tiles and after some trial and error, managed to drill a 1-1/8" hole in it - yay!

So I built a little plumbers putty dam on the ato tank, lightly clamped the ceramic tile on it and started drilling to get the hole started, then finished it off free hand ... Success

Of course, rookie mistakes where made. I penciled in the emergency overflow half an inch Higher than main but with all the mishaps and excitement, it only ended 1/4" higher. But I think I can fix this by elevating the emergency overflow nozzle a bit.
Will cover the sides of the tank to prevent light creep outside the fuge and shop for a little light and hook it up tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote