View Single Post
Unread 09/07/2018, 12:01 PM   #1
aravindk
Registered Member

Why is my skimmer overflowing?

I use a Royal Exclusiv Vertex Alpha 200 skimmer. It gave a flawless performance for almost eight years. In between I had to change the pump but other than that, it never failed on me. Water changes, complete sump draining and cleaning, power outages etc etc, Skimmer was always stable always maintained the water level. But then last two months, it is a completely different story. I adjusted the water depth many times, raised and lowered the skimmer and tinkered around the skimmer settings etc and no matter I do, the skimmer overflows sooner or later.

So here is my question. What makes the skimmer overflow? Other than water changes, the only things I dose in the water is BRS brand calc & alk. I even stopped dosing for couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference. Nope. I also have been dosing the same brand for several years.

I use a Reef Octopus Bio Pellet reactor. It has been working fine. It does throw out a lot of effluent (bacteria) in the water. I suspect because the skimmer is not working efficiently, the effluent ends in the water. Or is this effluent causing the skimmer to overflow?

So, I want to find out what is causing skimmer overflow. What water chemistry parameters could cause this and how can I get to the bottom of this?

aravindk is offline   Reply With Quote