View Single Post
Unread 02/14/2018, 11:31 AM   #29
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
I've kept yellowhead jawfish and also dusky jawfish in the past. Even though the dusky is much less colorful, it's much better at building, maintaining, and staying in its burrow, and has a ton of personality. They have a large mouth though, so small shrimp might be a snack for them. But then again, maybe that is true for adult yellowheads as well, I'm not sure. Also, my dusky lived for many years and I had a much tougher time keeping yellowheads alive (in addition to them always trying to leap out of the tank, even through the smallest of holes). Perhaps a good compromise would be the blue spotted jawfish.

Also, regarding your sandbed, if you decide to keep jawfish, then you'll need to add a bunch of coral rubble, shells and such so they can build their burrows, and maybe also mix in some larger grain sand and gravel.
Thank you for all the info Chasmodes. I would prefer a sturdier jawfish so I will definitely remember the other options. Also considering that jawfish like rubble and larger grain sand maybe they are better procured after I am done with ponies.
I will probably start with some small gobies, blennies and cardinal fish while I still have ponies.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote