View Single Post
Unread 11/07/2017, 08:40 AM   #3
flgoose
Registered Member

Picture is in album

Quote:
Originally Posted by October Sky View Post
Any photos? There's so many different DIY skimmers that it's almost impossible to tell what you have.
I have no idea how to insert a picture from my album. Anyway it is uploaded to my album named skimmer.

The skimmer is 8" in diameter with overall height of 32". It is all glass and holds about 4 1/2 gal. It is a stand alone and is powered by a mag 950 pump. the picture was taken at build testing it. It worked very well on my 300 gal once I fine tuned it and put it to work.

anyway picture is irrelevant for my question. The skimmer was skimming the 300 gal tank perfect with room to spare so I'm sure it will skim a 90 gal. I'm sure is way too big but like I said, it only should skim if there is anything to skim. The idea was to plum the full return from the tank into it ( I'm sure the skimmer will handle it) instead of return to the sump and pump into skimmer than return once more to the sump. the 300 was using 2 mag 1800 pumps to the display and 2 returns. one to the skimmer, one to the sump. The 90 only going to use 1 of the mag 1800 pumps and have only 1 return.

Gosh my head is spinning now. My thinking was to push the entire return trough the skimmer and use the sump just for extra volume, refugium and of course pump the water back to the display. I hope I make sense cause I don't know any more.

Current Tank Info: Starting over with 90 gal tank
flgoose is offline   Reply With Quote