View Single Post
Unread 05/27/2018, 12:48 AM   #329
starypotter
Registered Member

Hi I'm currently gathering all of the equipment that I need for my first tank and I've been doing my research but the lights are really tripping me up.

I have a standard 29 gallon tank, and a 10 gallon that I'm planning to connect to it as a sort of modified fuge/sump. The protein skimmer I plan on getting is too tall for the 10 gallon so since it needs to go in the DT anyway, I'm planning to just have the water pumped through the fuge with some chaeto and stick the heater down there as well. I might add more filtration to it but I'm not sure yet. I also have a 10 gallon for a quarantine for fish, and since my LFS is having a $1/gallon sale I'll probably pick up another 10 as a quarantine for coral.

I want to have a mixed reef tank with options for all different corals. I'm trying to keep a budget to around $200. If a bit over would get me a far superior light that's going to make a significant difference I'd consider it, but I would really prefer to keep costs down.

For the 10gal fish quarantine I have a standard hood light.
For the 10gal fuge for algae and maybe some inverts I have this I admittedly bought this at 4am in a rush and did not look at the details too close and Amazon would charge $8 to return it so looks like I'm keeping it.
I just need something for the small coral tank, and the 29gal DT.

I'm looking at the AquaMaxx Prism - AquaMaxx NemoLight - Current USA Orbit Marine - and the AquaIllumination Prime HD

I was thinking that maybe if I get one of the ones that stretches across the top of a tank I could just upgrade the length and DIY something so I could have the two tanks that need that light next to each other. I'm open to suggestions of other lights, these were just some ones that were in my budget and seemed like they'd be okay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

starypotter is offline   Reply With Quote