View Single Post
Unread 03/20/2013, 11:27 PM   #18
rodneyri
Registered Member

So many queries on why the change, I always read about LED/T5 being the ultimate lighting combo so I had to try it out, I like to get new toys too... I update my TV's yearly almost, computers, phones. The Mitras was a really good light, and if I was to go to LED only again the Mitras is the one I would buy, so dont look at my change as a negative to the Mitras - but it will be good to see how a LED/T5 combo works

The software is really basic, you control two banks of 4 T5's and you control each LED cluster individually. Quite simply at a point in time use the sliders to adjust the individual LEDs to the color you like and move to the next time point. Cool feature of the software is it has some ATI bulbs pre-programmed so click that button and the LEDs adjust to the color of the bulb - not sure how accurate but its a nice feature

The LED fans are quite loud, like a MP40 pump when they get going, they speed up and down as needed to cool the LEDs (they run at about 40C), the T5 fans are super quiet. With all this power the lamp does put out some heat.

Color rendering...well what can I say - its a Powermodule on steroids. Its the brightest light I have owned, I will take some more detailed PAR and spectrum readings in the coming weeks when the bulbs have worn in a bit. But at almost 600 PAR on the sandbed its deffinately got some punch!