View Single Post
Unread 02/09/2015, 09:14 AM   #68
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Here's where I am today...I've been using the egg crate/pvc box as kind of a form as I create these cultches, but it won't go into the tank as you see it above. Rather My plan is to build a PVC skeleton (still to be made) to mount the cultches on, then embed that skeleton into a DIY base rock (still to be made). There will be two PVC skeletons because I don't want to make one massive DIY rock.

So what about the gaps between the cultches? After all, i want it to look like a complete reef. I will build a duplicate set of PVC skeletons that are equal in size and shape to the ones that will be embedded in the DIY rock. I will situate the cultches as I want them in the tank on the duplicate skeletons and continue to glue oysters to the existing clutches and fill in the gaps. Then, once the DIY rock curing has been completed and the pH is OK, then I will swap out the duplicate skeleton and replace it with the DIY rocks w/skeletons. If I can get the tank set up and cycled but the DIY rock isn't ready, then I will go with this until the DIY rock is done curing, then swap it out later.

This reef will take up more than one third of the tank on the right side, and I'll have a smaller reef (one large longer cultch) in the mid foreground on the left side of the tank. I will use the same process as above for the skeleton and DIY rock concept. When looking at the picture below, imagine the two rows of cultches with no gaps and no egg crate, but not quite as much vertical relief (maybe some day, but I don't have enough oysters right now).

I hope to have all my set up equipment purchased in the next month or so, and the tanks set up and plumbed shortly after that. I need to purchase lighting, pumps, powerheads, and an RO/DI unit. It's coming along. I still have some work to do with the stands, but am not worried about getting that done just yet...soon though.

Here's the latest...I'm really happy with the way this is turning out.

Sorry it's taking so long...time and money are my issues, both I hope to resolve soon.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote