View Single Post
Unread 05/09/2012, 01:05 PM   #265
slapshot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicewicz View Post
I'm looking for a bit of advice for a compact automatic feeder for a small aquarium. I plan to house a dosing pump in a refrigerator, but don't have the room to plumb the return flow through the refrigerator. I realize that if I simply have a line going from the dosing pump to the aquarium, that food will remain in the line between the refrigerator and spoil.

Here's my proposal, it's a bit naive, but I'm looking for a simple solution. What if one of the lines on the dosing pump simply follows up dosing of food with dosing of RO/DI water; just enough to purge the line? Yes, you're adding some volume of freshwater to the system, but no more than an ATO system would. That way you'd just need a food line from the refrigerator directly to the tank. Of course you'd sacrifice one of the dosing pump lines, but that is a price I'm willing to pay for a streamlined system. Please let me know your thoughts on the feasibility of this proposed system.
My original system just fed it to the tank. I did two things to mimimized the spoilage. First, I kept the distance between the fridge and the tank small. Second I just fed less more often. I really never had an issue. Moving R/O water through the system will not solve the problem. Food bulids up on the wall of the tubing and in the pump. That will contaminate the water causing the same problem.

slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote