View Single Post
Unread 10/17/2011, 11:01 AM   #20
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

Beautiful fish dynomite... how long have you had it?

As for them not releasing toxins... well, that's just factually wrong. I'm not saying that they're a guaranteed tank apocalypse, but these fish will do what there physiology will do. A lot of factors come into play - tank filtration, size of the fish, individual fish biology, hardiness of tnak-mates, etc.

There are plenty of threads discussing how boxfish wiped out a tanks' inhabitants. On the other hand, I have a tetrasomus gibbosus in my 180, so it all depends on what kind of risk you're willing to accept . I'm not saying don't buy boxfish, just be aware of the risk and the difficulty involved in keeping them healthy for the long term.

A previous poster claimed that any fish could be kept if the tank was properly set up. This may be true, but since we don't always know what a "proper tank set-up" is nor are we always able to provide such an aquarium in a home setting, I'd be a little more cautious in claiming that "any fish" is capable of being successfully kept in captivity.

"One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not."

Current Tank Info: Taking a break
Monkeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote