View Single Post
Unread 11/22/2017, 02:15 PM   #1
JJudge951
Registered Member

Canon Lens Advice

It's been a while since I have been on here, but such is life. I have learned so much about photography and gear here, and I have always trusted this community for advice.

Right now a local shop has a used Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM in excellent condition for $399. I have 2 questions about this.

1) Is this as great of a deal as I think it is, or could I find another deal like this again fairly easy down the road?

2) Considering I have a crop sensor and I am looking for a good general purpose, everyday lens which could be used a good amount indoors, should I consider waiting and get an EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM? Even used they seem to be priced a bit higher.

I have a Canon T5i right now with the kit 18-55mm lens, 55-250mm lens (came with kit as well), 50mm f/1.8, and 10-18mm IS. All but the 50mm are EF-S. I am sure that eventually I may want to get FF down the road, but that may not be for a few years.

With all that in mind I am curious to hear your thoughts. Is the faster 2.8 going to be that much more worth it in an everyday lens, or would I appreciate the greater focal range of the 24-105, with only a slight drop in widest aperture?

Current Tank Info: 2 fresh water tanks for now. 25 gallon and 10 gallon planted
JJudge951 is offline   Reply With Quote