View Single Post
Unread 01/26/2018, 07:30 AM   #10
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
Ha!

I don't think the Reef Breeders Photon V2 is the fixture for the OP. The OP seems to have a serious dislike of the disco ball effect and the V2 has it. You can dial away most of it by not running the red or green leds (which is what I do most of the time). But ANY led fixture where the leds are laid out in a big array over a wide area, like all the black box fixtures, will have some disco issues.

The best way to avoid the disco effect is to use an led fixture that has the leds clumped together in a small area which is commonly called a 'point source' light. Some use leds in a puck like enclosure and some use a different version of leds where a number of very small leds are on one small board.

There is one possible exception to this design issue, the Reef Breeders AquaSanrise Plus series. They use leds grouped together in pucks, but the pucks are spread out in a wide array. So they have kind of split the difference. You get good wide coverage with less shadows than the point source led fixtures and you get less, if any, disco effect that the led array fixtures suffer with. It's kind of the best of both worlds. It's also a wifi fixture if that floats your boat (I'm not a big fan of wifi fixtures).