View Single Post
Unread 10/19/2008, 02:13 PM   #9
sunfish11
Premium Member

I have my CBB in a 3 year old reef. It is a standard dimension 210 gallon tank with 300+ lbs of live rock and 40X water turnover rate. Tank is full of fish and is LPS dominated with a little bit of stony coral and a crocea clam.

I have only tried one CBB and he is still with me. I bought my CBB 2 years ago from the Foster's and Smith retail outlet. He was not eating yet. I don't know where he was collected from but it was before they opened up Australia I believe. I didn't quarantine and added him directly to the display. He went to work on the aiptasia and feather dusters. I started by offering him live adult brine shrimp, which he loves. After a few days I mixed frozen Hikari mysis with the live brine. He began eating the mysis in a few days. At that point I discontinued the live brine and replaced it with a mix of frozen brine and mysis. I did not want to try putting food in any type of shell resembling a clam because I intended to get a clam and I didn't want to teach him to pick at it. I don't feed any frozen clam at all to any of my fish for this reason. I feed a very wide variety of foods but the CBB only eats mysis, brine, and squid as far I can tell. He completely ignores flakes and pellets. I feed the tank 3 times per day, but I only feed frozen once in the evening. I make sure I always feed plenty of mysis at that time so that he gets enough to eat.

Having a large quantity of live rock and amphipods seems to be very important for maintaining a CBB. He hunts and eats from the rock all day long and into the night. He doesn't eat coral or pick at the clam. I also have 4 anenomes in the tank which he leaves alone. I supplement his diet by adding aiptasia from the sump which he eats with gusto.

He showed a lot aggression to my convict tang when I added him. I think he doesn't care for other fish with vertical stripes.

Over the 3 years the tank has been up I have added fish to the point that it is packed and I had to stop. I was hard to do but when you see my fish list you will see that I am completely maxed out on fish. I will be forced to get a larger tank soon, DARN, LOL!!! There is Zero conflict between the CBB and the other fish.

1 Copper Band Butterfly
3 Ocellaris Clowns
2 Pink Skunk Clowns
4 Lyretail Anthias
1 Coral Beauty
1 African Flameback Angel
1 Potters Angel
1 Achilles Tang
1 Orange Shoulder Tang
1 Convict Tang
1 Regal Tang
1 Naso Tang
1 Midas Blenny
2 Chromis
1 Blue Throat Trigger
1 Whipfin Wrasse
1 Neon Goby

Here are a couple of pictures of my CBB. The first one was taken a couple weeks ago and the second was taken sometime in 2007.

Lisa

Last edited by sunfish11; 10/19/2008 at 02:19 PM.
sunfish11 is offline   Reply With Quote