View Single Post
Unread 02/03/2018, 11:01 PM   #1
cdearing
Registered Member

Are LEDs killing my corals?

I have a 75 gallon with 30 gallon sump. AI Hydra 26 lights. Last summer my LED lights starting doing weird things like certain lights in the pucks wouldn't come on or they would flicker. I didn't pay too much attention because I was so busy. By the time I realized I had a problem and called Aqua Illumination for help, I was in bad shape. The rep said I had to send them in to let them look at the lights so I spent $100 to overnight them. It was a hardware problem and I'd only had them a couple years. I had to buy new ones "at a discount". I didn't have a spare light so put a large plant growing light fixture over the tank for about 5 days while I waited for my new lights on the slow boat. Some corals have recovered but I lost all of my SPS, some really large colonies. Now my show piece coral, a super large wall neon green hammer that my clown hosts in is slowly shrinking. It used to take up about a quarter of my tank. I've been trying to adjust the lights up then down. I've tried target feeding it. Everyone seems to have a different idea online of where these lights should be. I haven't found anything that the hammer likes. My other hammers are also shrinking. Some corals seem to be just fine and thriving. Also the sand has a weird texture like reddish hard layer over the top. My temp is usually around 78.5-79. Salinity is 1.027. Calcium is 410. I have a PH monitor but battery is dead. Anyone have thoughts on what I can try to save the rest of my corals? I do not have a light meter and would honestly rather not buy one. I have so much money in this thing as it is. I'm attaching some photos. One is hammer a couple months ago to compare. Thanks for any help. Tank has been running about 8-9 years.
I tried posting on another reef site but no-one responded. Hoping someone will at least chime in here. Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tank2018.jpg (101.3 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0663.jpg (52.0 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0655.jpg (65.4 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0656.jpg (66.8 KB, 178 views)
cdearing is offline   Reply With Quote