View Single Post
Unread 12/27/2016, 03:05 PM   #2
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
Hi,
My errectus had babies last friday. So, now Tuesday, they are 4 days old. I'm guessing I have about a 90% survival rate. About 150-200 were born. I have them in a 20 gallon long tank with low power LED light strip. I have good capacity sponge filter and light/medium bubbles coming up from it. I have then eating baby brine, whch I feed to them about 3x a day. I have read to do 5x, but there are always a good # of live bbs swimming around.

Temperature is about 76 degrees. I also have a piece of Life Rock to help bolser some bio filtration. I tested both ammonia and nitrite. Amm = near undetecable and nitrite about 0.1 ppm. Which I think is amazing. Tested on salifert. Double test to make sure. I was going to do 50% water changes twice a week. But hey, why? since my levels seem great (?)

I just started a new batch of BBS. To the first one, since 24 hrs after hatching I have added a cap or two of concentrated phytoplankton. I read how to add selco which I will today also.

THis is my second time trying to raise baby seahorses. First time was total flop, but I was not prepared. How am I looking so far with my current route?

And do I just start letting the brine shrimp grow a little bit as the horses grow, and then after a month try to ween them to frozen small mysis?
I tried to do some research, but it's not too easy with work (long hours) and etc.

Thanks!
I personally would not use Selco. When I raised erectus fry they started dying for no apparent reason and Tami Weiss told me that maybe they got bacteria in their gut. When I stopped using Selco and switched to Dan's Feed as an enrichment I did not lose anymore.

I never tried to grow out the bbs. As the fry grew I just began adding adult brine shrimp. Then I began adding shaved mysis pieces into the enriched adult brine shrimp.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote