View Single Post
Unread 04/26/2013, 06:02 PM   #93
danil
Registered Member

I think this tread should be locked after initial post. Now it's full of silly posts and becoming less and less valuable for new people. Please read initial posts. All you need to know is there and stop reading further .
For my young reef fellow I can say there are two schools of treating ich/velvet etc. First school treats symptoms. It's like taking Tylenol when you sick. Second one is actually treating illness either it's Marine Ich, Velvet or something else. Many people posting in this thread belong to first school and it's NOT what this tread about. If you want to share your success of treating symptoms of 'some' illness with shrimp, garlic, wrasses, reef safe bottles from Petco, dancing around you tank and so on please do but not in this thread. If you want to threat (and kill) Marin Ich or Velvet you have to do it as it's posted at the start of this thread.
My preferences are below in order of effectiveness.
1. Copper. Go for this option. Get cupramine few test kits (one may not be enough) and start treatment. Very high success rate (~90%)
2. Chloroquine phosphate. Expensive, hard to get and has no clear direction how much for how long it has to be used. Proven to work in some cases though. I have above average success rate.(~70-80%)
3. Hyposalinity. Lowest success rate. Like 50x50%
4. Tank transfer. Never worked for me as a process.

You might ask why not 100% well success rate here is combination of treatment and survivability of livestock. With copper treatment I've lost few fish. Plus due to wrong diagnostic or wrong dosage of med it's possible for treatment to be ineffective. What's why we have to keep fish in QT after treatment for further observation.

danil is offline   Reply With Quote