View Single Post
Unread 12/15/2010, 10:02 PM   #59
jeffreylesser
Registered Member

I found some of the original posts on Enrofloxacin very interesting. I have tried a few times to acclimate a Gigantea to my aquarium without success. Each time the results were similar. The first few days were good, and then slowly over time the anemone would do more and more "water changes" on itself, and eventually turn inside out and die. So I ordered some generic enroflaxacin and waited for a good time where I wasn't traveling to start. The OP has been very helpful and has passed some information/journal articles on to me, as well as asking advice from some of his friends who were experimenting with this treatment on fish. This is what I did:

1). I dosed 5mg/l enroflaxacin in a 5 gallon SW bucket. The anemone was in the bucket and I had a nano koralia for flow, a mini heater, and an airstone.

2). Due to water quality issues I changed the 5 gallons twice daily. I do not feel even this was enough as with each water change the anemone perked up immediately. I read ammonia readings of 1.0 at times.

3). Lighting is important. I started off with ambient room lighting, but soon threw a HO flourescent overhead on the bucket, as in even a few days I witnessed bleaching in the anemone. This was still not enough.

4). I did this for 5 days. I can tell you at the end of the five days the anemone did not look like it was going to make it. So I pu it in my DT, where at the least it wouldn't die in a TM Pro bucket.

The anemone has been in my display for 1 1/2 days now and it is fully expanded and the mouth is closed. I am very surprised. Who knows what the future holds for this anemone. I am not sure what can be gleamed from my experiment, but there it is.

jeffreylesser is offline   Reply With Quote