View Single Post
Unread 02/02/2016, 10:28 AM   #121
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodave View Post
I have been running my skimmer at 6.5 water depth, 4.5 turns out on the nozzle and the wedge pipe 100% open for the last 36 hours and it still continuously overflows. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks
You may need to lower the sump level more but the next thing I would check is to make sure there isn't salt creep in the Venturi port on the pump where the air line connects to the block. Also, if a snail or any debris made it into the pump impeller area, that could cause the issue too. Pull the airline off and remove the pump and look down into the port where the airline connects to the pump. If you see what build up in there, clean it with a tooth pick. If salt builds up in there, it has the same effect as closing the nozzle which sends more water into the skimmer. Also, look into the intake and make sure there isn't anything that made it into the pump. If there isn't, then open the nozzle a bit more or raise the skimmer 1/4". I'd probably raise the skimmer first. If you have a lot of dissolved organics in the system, that can drive the skimmer nuts until it catches up. The minimum depth for that skimmer is just under 6" and skimmers in general are very sensitive to water level. The smaller the skimmer, the more sensitive they are. As such, finding the right water level is critical. So double check the Venturi for salt creep, if there isn't any and nothing in the pump, then raise the skimmer up 1/4" or lower the sump level 1/4". If you can't raise the skimmer or lower the water level, then open the volute/nozzle 1/4 turn more and let me know what you find.

While I haven't asked this, I figure I might as well. Have you used any red slime removers or epoxy in your system recently or anything else? My guess is no but I figured I would ask.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 02/02/2016 at 10:36 AM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote