View Single Post
Unread 06/11/2017, 06:49 PM   #1
bangaicardinal
Registered Member

Exclamation 125g FOWLR Barebottom with 45g sump and NO skimmer - anyone done it?

Hey everyone, I've finally finished my basement and brought a drilled 125g out of storage to set up in the new room. I am excited to start my first FOWLR predator tank (I've got a 20g mixed reef upstairs). So, basically I'm looking for experience with minimalist nutrient export using macro algae and turf scrubbers. I've got a 45g sump (just a tank, no baffles or seperate chambers or anything). I was hoping to plumb the overflow from the tank into one side, and a return pump to my tank on the other side (I've got a UV sterilizer on the water returning to the tank). I have an older skimmer (aquamedic or something), that I will put to use if need be. However I would like to try and fill the sump with macroalgae and LR and do a turf scrubber.

Has anyone tried to run a system like this without a skimmer? Any success?

I've got over 100lbs of LR (well, it's dead now) and probably about 80lbs of dead sand that I am thinking about throwing into the kids sandbox as I'd like to try barebottom. Any advice would be much appreciated

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (51.9 KB, 32 views)
bangaicardinal is offline   Reply With Quote