View Single Post
Unread 09/02/2016, 06:08 AM   #6
DanU
Registered Member

Gas bubble disease is poorly understood. There is not a consensus on this by the experts.

I don't believe high organic loading is the direct cause, rather indirect. High organic loading leads to higher microbial activity in both protozoans and bacteria. The microbial activity can be either beneficial or pathogenic, both or shift between the two.

Diamox will sometimes reduce gas bubbles but doesn't treat underlying cause.

When I get help calls for this, the first recommendation is to move the animal to clean new saltwater. In many cases, the issue resolves itself within 2 or 3 days without any further treatment. Some cases this is not enough. The second step is to analyze the environment. Usually I find one or more of the following: no protein skimmer, crushed coral or gravel substrate, canister filters overdue for media change out, not enough flow, overstocking, or other means that organics can build up. To bad there is not a simple to test for organic loading. Redox and O2 saturation can be a clue though.

Some swear by antibiotic therapy. This sometimes works, but in many cases doesn't resolve the issue.

We still have a lot learn on this subject!

Dan

DanU is offline   Reply With Quote