View Single Post
Unread 06/21/2002, 11:18 PM   #1
pnosko
Registered Member

Lightbulb Modification to the Durso Standpipe

I finally built one of these for my 55g, and I think I found a way to eliminate the hassle with the air hole-- as far as drilling the right sized hole in the cap and/or using a valve. If someone has already posted my technique, my apologies; I searched but didn't find mention of this.

On my standpipe, the top cap and the short length of PVC (spacer) it sits on (items 8 and 7 respectively from Reefland's website) is not glued. I wedged the spacer pretty tight into the TEE below it, and then twisted the cap around for a while until it was worn enough to rotate with a firm hand. Then, instead of drilling trial-sized holes in the top of the cap, I drilled a 1/8" hole through the side of the cap and the spacer. Rotating the cap lets you adjust the size of the opening. I found that just a very slight turn made a huge difference in how fast the water goes down the pipe. I may try this again with a saw slice instead of a hole to allow even finer adjustment, but for now I'm very happy with how adjustable it was on the first try. And cleaning is a breeze, just lift off the cap and rinse; a Q-tip works great on the hole in the spacer.

Below is a picture of my modification. Now if can only silence the end in the sump.

BTW, my "hats off" to Richard Durso's ingenious device. It has really quieted my overflow.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
~ Anatole France (1844-1924)

Current Tank Info: Dusty 110g, 55g & 29g tanks
pnosko is offline   Reply With Quote