View Single Post
Unread 08/31/2017, 10:55 AM   #1
DeepBlueSea
Registered Member

DIY Glass Aquarium

So, I'm a DIY'r at heart. Something about building something yourself is quite satisfying. Currently building a 73 L x 26 D x 38 H stand which I'm hoping to get the first coat of paint on this weekend.

Anyway, I don't currently have an aquarium to put on this stand. Figure i'd build the stand and then think about what I actually want to put on top of it.

Definitely want to go with something that's at least 24" in depth and width... The question, do I go 4, 5, or 6 feet long. (120, 150, or 180)

I've contacted a custom glass bath and shower door company who deals in high end bathrooms. Received a quote on a 1/2" thick 60x24x24 (non-tempered) starphire front and side panels, with 3/8"eurobrace strips, machine cut, polished/beveled edges that is about $1250 cheaper than a custom tank quote I've received from a reputable builder.

To be honest... I'm not sure I'm willing to risk the catastrophe of a poor build over saving only $1250, but the challenge... oh the challenge.

I mean, a few pieces of glass, some 90 degree braces, some large clamps, spacers, marine grade silicone injected method... This seems like a plausible build for someone like me.

Thoughts on your experience in building tanks????

DeepBlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote