View Single Post
Unread 12/02/2015, 10:16 PM   #2281
Tigé21v
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfee View Post
Only Dino I see is some brown film on wave makers and chaeto. I guess it could be anything. But my nitrates got up to about 30 and phosphate read 0 on api test. I'm sure if I do a w/c the Dino's will appear more. I'm thinking about carbon dosing but have never tried it and only briefly read up on it. How else can I reduce nitrates? I don't think the chaeto in my new refugium is growing (probably because Dino's are taking out all the phosphate???).
Input anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
I have nitrate problem also. Would like to see what you do. I did water change and nitrates are still up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
Cyanobacteria building up on rock work (probably from over feeding). Did water change because of nitrates, and boom! Dino explosion all on sandbed. Any recommendations?
I've kind of jumped around around on this thread, started from the beginning , mostly to see just how active it still is. I'll need to go back and read it in its entirety. Lots of good info, reaffirming what I've kind of felt for a while now.
I'm not sure if it was ever covered, but has anyone tried dosing phosphates when they have elevated NO3 and little to no PO4?
I have a tank that has minimal livestock (couple of snails and crabs, a few small softies that don't really seem to grow). But after a long period of neglect, I had TONS of snot all over everything. Glass, rocks, sand, powerheads, you name it. Snot everywhere, but not so much as a speck of algae, including coralline. Nitrates were around 40 , PO4 was .01 to .02 (Hanna low range checker, the old style, the blue brick).
I started dosing phosphates, no other changes. Within a week or so they were 90% gone. Coralline started to grow, and a few small patches of algae.
(As a sidenote, a little cyano started to pop up)

Tigé21v is offline   Reply With Quote