View Single Post
Unread 03/11/2013, 11:57 AM   #3098
alton
Registered Member

Since the subject has come up about pairing I will insert my story. I have a 5” Red Sea Regal (male) in my 300. I added a 2”+ juvenile red sea a couple months ago using a thin piece of plexi glass sectioning off 1/3 of the tank with holes large enough for most of my fish to pass through except the large regal and my copper band. The male hates the juvey and will go at him profusely. The juvenile stays on his side most of the day but several times a day he will cross over. When that happens and the larger notices it the chase is on. And although so easy for the little one to retreat back though the holes, instead it takes refuge into a honey hole to aggravate the larger on who can’t quit get his bigger head into. When the larger one decides to turn slightly the smaller one comes out and pecks on the larger before darting back in for safety. This goes on for a few minutes and then the little one swim’s back into its side of the tank. It is comical to watch except for it is tough watching a $300 fish getting its fins sliced sometimes. In this same tank I have my pair of Flame Angels that paired very similar except the smaller used my birds nest coral to hide in when the chase ensued. Before these two paired during feeding time the smaller one would come out of hiding grab a piece of food from the larger flames mouth and swim like heck back to the protection of the birds nest. I wish I would have documented how long it took for the aggression to stop but I did not. I am going to give it another month; if the aggression does not stop I know I will have to make a decision on which to keep?

alton is offline   Reply With Quote